A wild river leads through the woods to a variety of local epicurean delights.
Roseburg to Idleyld Park
The Darkroom Espresso Cafe
- Start in downtown Roseburg at the Darkroom Espresso to start your day with a cup of jo and a locally baked pastry for breakfast. Stock up on local favorites, Henry’s doughnuts and Bagel Tree bagels for a snack picnic option up river.
- Head out north on NE Stephens and continue north on highway 99
- Stop by the Winchester Dam Fish Ladder on the North Umpqua River
- The dam is a nationally registered historic place and the ladder windows provide views of summer and winter steelhead, spring chinook salmon, and coho salmon.
- Turn onto North Bank Road and head east along the North Umpqua River
- Stop and check out BLM Habitat Management Area and Hiking Trail
- North Bank Road dead ends into the North Umpqua Highway (Hwy 138) – turn left and head east to Glide
- Stop at Colliding Rivers Park and admire how the confluence of the Little River and North Umpqua River meet head on
- The North Umpqua Ranger Station is just across the way and a recommended stop for maps and recreation information
- Head east on the North Umpqua Highway
- Call ahead and stop in at River Ranch Oregon Olive Oil for a private tasting of Arbequina and Arbosana varieties locally grown
- Continue on to Susan Creek Falls
River Ranch Oregon Olive Oil on the North Umpqua
- Hike the short jaunt into the falls and enjoy a picnic snack on the large boulders at the water’s edge
- Continue on to the Steamboat Inn, a must for lunch with a glass of local wine and a slice of their delicious berry pie. Sit on the back patio and listen to the river as you nibble and sip, check out their lodging for your next Umpqua adventure.
- Return to Roseburg via Hwy 138 and NE Diamond Lake Blvd
- If you have time, stop and explore the Falls Creek Falls Trailhead
- End the day with beer and pizza
- Backside Brewing Co. is tucked into an industrial neighborhood off of Diamond Lake Blvd with a great atmosphere – enjoy live music, ping pong ball, shuffleboard and a top notch brick oven.
- Continue into downtown to the cozy space at Old Soul Pizza, where they marry traditional with their own unique twist of toppings and flavors are considered the best pizza in town.
- Wine with a view to option
Bypass the urban ending and head straight for Cooper Ridge Vineyard (open until 7pm) on Old Garden Valley Rd. Perched 150 feet above the North Umpqua River, the tasting room, guest house and winery offer extraordinary panoramic vistas while nibbling a plate of artisan cheeses, charcuterie, and house made goodies
Backside Brewery, Roseburg, Oregon